Salary: from 5 150€/month
Contract Type: Renewable fixed-term contract
Location: Strasbourg (France)
Reference: Vacancy Notice e6/2020
Deadline for applications: 12/03/2020
Are you an enthusiastic scientific translator and have a mix of scientific, translation and client service skills? Do you take pride in the quality and accuracy of your work and have a keen eye for detail? If the answer to these questions is yes, don’t miss out on this opportunity to join our team here at the European Directorate for the Quality of Medicines & HealthCare (EDQM), part of the Council of Europe.
The main responsibilities of the job:
As Scientific Translator, you will produce high-standard translations of EDQM documents, which are mostly of a scientific and technical nature, from French into English (profile A) or from English to French (profile B). More details are available in the [vacancy notice].
To be eligible to apply you must:
- hold a higher education degree or qualification in science and/or translation;
- if you have a higher education degree or qualification in science and a higher education degree or qualification in translation, no professional experience is required.
- if you only have one or the other, then we require at least 3 years’ proven experience as a translator of scientific texts (in a relevant scientific field) from French into English (profile A) and from English to French (profile B);
- (profile A) English mother tongue (or command of English of mother-tongue standard) and have an excellent knowledge of French; or
- (profile B) French mother tongue (or command of French of mother-tongue standard) and have an excellent knowledge of English;
- have sound computer knowledge of standard tools in office applications, inter alia for terminological and documentary research and knowledge of computer-assisted translation (CAT) and terminology tools.
What we offer:
- a great opportunity to participate in the work on the European Pharmacopoeia, which recently celebrated the publication of its 10th Edition;
- the chance to work in a multinational/multicultural workplace – people from more than 20 nationalities work at the EDQM, which is situated in the European quarter of Strasbourg (a UNESCO World Heritage site);
- highly competitive, income tax free salaries, an attractive benefits package including health insurance, additional allowances such as family and expatriation allowances (as appropriate) and an annual training programme.
More details and information on the recruitment process can be found on our Employment website. Applications must be submitted by 12/03/2020 (midnight French Time) at the latest. Please note we only accept applications posted via our online recruitment website.
Short-term employment opportunities (up to 9 months in a calendar year) might become available to cover staff absences, periods of increased workload or to support specific projects. The contracts can be monthly or daily temporary contracts and can be an excellent way to gain experience or new skills. This type of contract cannot, however, lead to longer term employment - this is accessed through separate recruitment processes.
We are happy to welcome trainees to EDQM. For you it is a chance to gain valuable experience in a complex multi-cultural and stimulating work environment. For us, we benefit from the enthusiasm, motivation and skills that new graduates bring. To qualify for a traineeship, you should normally be in your final year of study in pharmacy, chemistry, biology or in a similar domain. Traineeships last for up to six months. We welcome spontaneous applications (CV and motivation letter) at firstname.lastname@example.org . We will get back to you in case a traineeship position matching your profile becomes available.