Background and mission - Anti-falsification activities
The steering body, the European Committee on Pharmaceuticals and Pharmaceutical Care (CD-P-PH), oversees the work programme carried out by the Committee of Experts on minimising the public health risks posed by falsified medical products and related crimes (CD-P-PH/CMED).
The Committee is entrusted with developing and promoting the implementation of multisectoral risk prevention and management strategies.
Mission of the Committee of Experts on Minimising Public Health Risks Posed by Falsification of Medical Products and Similar Crimes (CD-P-PH/CMED)
Its primary responsibilities, according to the terms of reference, are as follows:
- developing and promoting the implementation of multisectorial risk prevention and management strategies, e.g. programmes and model approaches in the field of public health protection from falsified medical products and similar crimes;
- facilitating networking and co-operation within member states through activities promoting recognised networking models (e.g. the model for a network of SPOCs prepared by the former Ad hoc Group on counterfeit medicines);
- providing public health authorities with strategies for risk communication on falsified medical products and related crimes;
- maintaining and developing further a specific multisectorial expertise with a view to adapting programmes and procedures to the rapidly changing patterns of crime involving healthcare products;
- promoting a favourable environment for the implementation of regional and international specific legal instruments in this field at the national and international level;
- developing support tools for information exchange on management, prevention and follow-up of the risks posed by such crimes.
The composition and project approach of the Committee is multisectorial, bringing together healthcare and law enforcement officials from Council of Europe Member States, European institutions, pharmaceutical industries and trade, and international organisations.
View the full terms of reference.
The term "counterfeiting" as used in the Medicrime Convention is meant in its broadest sense of "falsification".
The EDQM Know-X database collates reports on falsified medical products in the Council of Europe member states and allows its users to send out Rapid Alerts to their authorised network. It also provides a tool for information exchange between experts from different countries and authorities.