EDQM Vision, Mission & Values
The EDQM is a leading organisation that protects public health by:
- enabling the development,
- supporting the implementation and
- monitoring the application
of quality standards for safe medicines and their safe use which are recognised as a scientific benchmark and applied worldwide.
The guidance and standards developed by the EDQM in the areas of blood transfusion, organ, cell and tissue transplantation and consumer health issues have a positive impact on public health in Europe and beyond.
EDQM contributes to the basic human right of access to good quality medicines and healthcare, and promotes and protects human and animal health by:
- establishing and providing official standards for the manufacture and quality control of medicines in all the signatory states of the Convention on the Elaboration of a European Pharmacopoeia and beyond;
- granting Certificates of suitability which verify the compliance of pharmaceutical substances with European Pharmacopoeia standards and carrying out inspections of manufacturers of these substances;
- co-ordinating a network of Official Medicines Control Laboratories (OMCL) to collaborate and pool expertise and to effectively use limited resources with the aim of achieving effective public quality control of medicines in Europe and beyond;
- proposing ethical, safety and quality standards for blood transfusions (collection, preparation, storage, distribution and appropriate use of blood components) and organ, tissue and cell transplantation;
- working with national, European and international organisations in efforts to combat falsification of medical products and similar crimes;
- providing policies and model approaches for the safe use of medicines, including guidelines on pharmaceutical care;
- establishing standards for cosmetics and food contact materials and coordinating the public control of cosmetics.
Our core values
We value, first and foremost, public health, scientific competence, integrity, objectivity and respect for the fundamental principles of the Council of Europe.
We are committed to working in partnership with regional, national and international agencies, authorities, institutions and industry for the wider benefit of all.
We are also committed to achieving, through continuous improvement, the highest quality in our products and services, for the benefit of our users, partners and employees.