The EDQM is a leading organisation that protects public health by:
- enabling the development,
- supporting the implementation, and
- monitoring the application
of quality standards for safe medicines and their safe use. Our standards are recognised as a scientific benchmark world-wide. The European Pharmacopoeia is legally binding in member states.
Our mission is to contribute to the basic human right of access to good quality medicines and healthcare and to promote and protect human and animal health by:
- establishing and providing official standards which apply to the manufacture and quality control of medicines in all signatory States of the "Convention on the Elaboration of a European Pharmacopoeia" and beyond;
- ensuring the application of these official standards to substances used in the production of medicines;
- co-ordinating a network of Official Medicines Control Laboratories (OMCL) to collaborate and share expertise among Member States and to effectively use limited resources;
- proposing ethical, safety and quality standards:
- collaborating with national, European and international organisations in efforts to combat counterfeiting of medical products and similar crimes;
- providing policies and model approaches for the safe use of medicines in Europe, including guidelines on pharmaceutical care; and by
- establishing standards and co-ordinating controls for cosmetics and food packaging.
Our Core Values
We value, first and foremost, public health, scientific competence, integrity, objectivity and respect for the fundamental principles of the Council of Europe.
We are committed to working in partnership with regional, national and international agencies, authorities, institutions and industry associations for the wider benefit of all.
We are also committed to achieving, through continuous improvement, the highest quality in our products and services, for the benefit of our users, partners and employees.