Its primary responsibilities, according to the terms of reference, are as follows:
- reviewing classification at the national level for medicines and developing good classification practices;
- monitoring trends in and the impact of classification on medicines safety and accessibility;
- revising the text of Committee of Ministers' Resolution Res AP(2007)1 on the classification of medicines as regards their supply;
- revising annually the classification of medicines on the list appended to the above mentioned resolution;
- developing further and co-ordinating the updates of a web published database (MELCLASS) presenting the classification status of medicines in the member states; and
- monitoring safety, and non-safety, related withdrawals of medicines from the market from a patient safety and medicines' accessibility perspective.
View the full terms of reference.