About the European Pharmacopoeia
The European Pharmacopoeia (Ph. Eur.) defines requirements for the qualitative and quantitative composition of medicines, the tests to be carried out on medicines and on substances and materials used in their production.
It covers active substances, excipients and preparations of chemical, animal, human or herbal origin, homoeopathic preparations and homoeopathic stocks, antibiotics, as well as dosage forms and containers. It also includes texts on biologicals, blood and plasma derivatives, vaccines and radiopharmaceutical preparations. The European Pharmacopoeia and its requirements are legally binding in the member states of the European Pharmacopoeia Convention and the European Union.
If you would like to know more about the European Pharmacopoeia, go to our European Pharmacopoeia section.
Versions and Subscriptions
The Ph. Eur. is supplied in a variety of formats designed to be flexible and suit the needs of your organisation.
- Book Version: The 8th Edition will consist of two initial volumes (8.0) and 8 non-cumulative supplements (8.1 to 8.8). Each volume contains a complete table of contents and index. Volume 1 and 2 combined contain 2224 monographs, 345 general chapters illustrated with diagrams or chromatograms and 2500 descriptions of reagents. Printed with a hardback cover, for use in a laboratory or manufacturing environment. NEW: Download the latest: Index 8.6
- Online Version (including smartphones and tablets):
Starting with the 8th Edition, access is now possible from tablets and smartphones. Subscribers will have access to the versions they purchased until the end of the 8th Edition (31 December 2016) and need to renew their subscription for continuous access to the supplement in force. Each update is completely cumulative. Read the Technical Specifications
- USB Version: The USB stick version makes it easy to access the Ph. Eur. while on the move or in environments where the use of the book or online versions would be inappropriate or impractical. It is also ideal for users who have more than one computer. Each update is completely cumulative. Read the Technical Specifications
- Languages: The book version is available in English and French. Both online and USB versions are bilingual (English and French).
- Packages: Four different packages are now available for a significantly reduced price for customers interested in having more than one version.
- Archives: The Ph. Eur. Archives contain the 1st Edition to 7th Edition in PDF format. They are available to all Ph. Eur. subscribers with an up-to-date subscription (paper, online or USB stick) and a registered EPID code.